/r/RABM/

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Deliverer - "Smother" (2018)

DELIVERER "Smother"

Year: 2018
Genre: Instrumental Neofolk / "Barbarian Folk"
Country: USA

Track List:
  1. No Home
  2. Until The Plains
  3. Deliverer Awake
  4. Spurn From Within
  5. Fall of Civilization
  6. Reunion
Bandcamp

"... I am Black and mixed race. It’s hard to think of fascism as a benign thing for me, whether or not the attitudes are sincere or just aesthetic based. For those reasons I’ve often been removed from the metal scenes except on the internet, which is where people are the worst about that sort of thing. I’ve probably been to less than 10 black metal shows in 20 years o listening to the music for that reason, so I’ve encountered only minimal amounts of it in person.

... I have always felt a connection to old folk traditions, although I never had a ton of personal connection through them in my upbringing – so many of them I have admired from a distance. But it is also so easy for these things to get wrapped up in nationalism that has also kept me a bit removed from them. There are many Black American folk magic and pagan traditions that I don’t have as much connection to.

I’m especially a fan of Scandinavian and similarly influenced projects like most of what Einar Selvik is connected to, Ulver’s Kveldssanger and the like. But I’ve also looked to bands like Deveykus and Zeal and Ardor who have tried to incorporate Hasidic music and Black spirituals respectively into a metal sound, insisting on making space for themselves and their sounds in the larger umbrella of the scene"

Read the full interview with Deliverer here.

No comments :

Post a Comment